5.11.2009

Smart, that one.

So it's been kind of a day. Nothing specifically bad, but just frustrating. Whiny kids, lack of sleep, trying to figure something out on the sewing machine and not. I just had an episode with Sam. Earlier this afternoon, Grace got out her little stroller for her doll. She probably played with it all of 5 minutes, after which found something more entertaining, at which point Sam took over the stroller, played with it for quite awhile, and then left it right in the main thoroughfare through the living room. That's where I come in. I asked Sam to put it away and then had a much too long discussion over whether he should put it away since he played with it, or if Grace should put it away since she got it out. Once that was settled (Sam's responsibility to put away), we had another episode over whether he'd be able to undo the clasp that holds the stroller up. We reached the point of Sam collapsed on the floor yelling 'I can't do it, it's too hard!' before Grace stepped in and handily took care of folding the stroller up for Sam. At this point I retreated to the bathroom, ostensibly to use the facilities, but really to have a break. While in the bathroom, this conversation was overheard:


Sam: Grace, lets have a race. The first person to touch the stroller gets to put it away.
pause during which I presume Sam started the 'race' and got no response from Grace
Sam: Grace, we're having a race! The first person to touch the stroller gets to put it away. Ready, set go!
Grace: I'm not going to race. 
Sam: C'mon Grace, it'll be fun!
Grace: Sam, you have to put the stroller away.

It's nice to know that Grace can't be manipulated by her older brother. The funny/somewhat sad thing is, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the race ploy would have worked on Sam if their roles had been reversed!

5 comments:

Suzie-Q said...

Hope your day gets better, it is almost over anyways. Maybe FHE will be better.
We have days like that all the time, they are frustrating.

NanaH said...

I MISS THEM ALREADY!!! Give them lots of kisses from me.

Maren and Blake said...

I am sorry it has been one of those days. I love the Sam/Grace situation. Grace is one smart cookie. And no doubt ANY boy would have played the race game if the rolls were reversed.

Carrie Medford said...

That was a clever ploy. Thankfully, it seems that girls catch on faster to everything than boys do. That gives little sisters the edge on their older brothers. Grace must take after her mom!

Letty said...

Oh boy does that sound like a line from my house...kids!!!