11.16.2007

Thanksgiving Wishes

I was going through an old writing book and found this entry that I wrote on Thanksgiving Day, 3 or 4 years ago. There's no date included so I can't be sure which year it was. Not all of it makes sense, but here you go:



It's early evening on Thanksgiving Day. I'm beginning to put together the picture of what I think this day should be like when I am in charge of it. I have to say that I hope it wont be much like today. It has not been a bad day, but I did not have high expectations for it, so I am not disappointed. I'm not sure even if my idea of a perfect Thanksgiving Day is even feasible. It would take great organization, cooperation, and money to pull off, none of which I have abundance of. I think the key to a well put together TD is delegation, a big kitchen with more then one oven, and well behaved, obedient kids. Remove any of these elements, and stress and general frazzelment will occur. Music needs to be a part of the day, but only wordless music and never loud enough that you have to talk over. Instrumental Christmas music would work. Also, I don't think food should be the main focus of the day. The food should be the means whereby  we are brought together, but spending time with friends and family should be the purpose of the day. Thus there should not be only one or two people working in the kitchen, but as many as can fit (hence the big kitchen). And those that aren't working in the kitchen should be close by- setting the table or making centerpieces or place cards, etc. Everyone should dress well for dinner and be ready when the time comes, and the head of the household should take charge and make sure that everyone is calm and ready to eat together. Eating should not begin until everyone is served, and the grown-ups at least should take the time to share memories/blessings/stories. And they should take at least 30 minutes to eat. Is any of this realistic? Probably not, but I shall continue to hope for it.


I wont say where I was though you can deduce some of what it was like from what I wrote. And it's not like I could have done any better had I been the one in charge. Or any better now for that matter. And I like being not in charge. I'm perfectly content doing my small part (Brussels sprouts, two pies, and keeping my kids under control).  However, I still like the basic picture that I wrote. So, oh beloved bloggers, what are your Thanksgiving wishes? If you could make the perfect Thanksgiving day, what would it be like?

4 comments:

StrykerLOVE said...

rach - you and rob need to email us some good suggestions of a game we can buy for the family - one that the boys would like to play but i would like to play too!!

Anonymous said...

Dream on,. . .

Katie said...

So I'm cracking up at your anonymous comment... It is usually a pretty crazy day and we are going to my dad's for dinner. There will be over 30 people there and he decided to order a turkey and stuffing and the rest of us will bring something. Maybe it won't be as yummy, but a whole lot less stress, which in my opinion will make the day a whole lot more enjoyable.

We really do have a lot to be grateful for. I was thinking about it (as I have been tagged to blog 10 things I'm grateful for). Anyhow, thanks for your friendship over the years:)

Alleman Family said...

Rach,
Let's see. My sisters and I all joke that it isn't a holiday in my family if something isn't thrown against the wall!! :) I was down in AZ for Thanksgiving and nothing was thrown, thankfully. But, of course, there was lots of pent up frustration and passive aggressive anger!! Luckily, I have my in-laws. I am so grateful for the wonderful family I married into!!