7.04.2008

contriteness and a summer dessert

Ok so I feel bad for my last post. This happens to me all the time: I complain and gripe about something and then I feel guilty for it. However, I had forgotten how cathartic it is to write my troubles out, not to mention when I'm having a good cry while I write. Almost immediately after I posted I felt enormously better. Also, about half hour later Rob called to say that he had been discussing things with his prof and had determined that the soonest we would have to move isn't till next summer! What a relief! I'm so glad I have more time to spend in this great place. 

Speaking of great places, this is shaping up to be one of the better 4ths I've had. For one thing it is certainly the coolest. It's 2 in the afternoon and I think we just hit 70. Growing up with triple digit summers certainly makes outdoor activities different then they are now. We had a ward breakfast at a local park which was fun. We brought our bocce ball set and got quite the ongoing game going.  I don't think the same group of people played the entire time; there was kind of a never ending rotation of people wanting to play. Then for lunch we went to a county park near here that we've never been to before. It was so amazingly beautiful! We were the only ones in the park and had a great time. There was a really neat playground area, lots of flat, open fields for games, volley ball pits, a stream for kids to fall in, and a nice little hike. I can't believe we've lived here for 3 years and had never been! We are already planning on going back, maybe even weekly. This evening we'll be taking the city bus to another park in town for the city celebration. The kids look forward to this every year. There will be a big bouncing castle, the fire trucks for them to climb through, lots of kids to play with... but the biggest thrill is always the bus ride. 
So here's a quick and yummy summer dessert. My mom made this all the time when I was growing up and then I saw the exact same recipe in a magazine just a few weeks ago. 
Mix 2 8 oz yogurts (I usually use strawberry or raspberry) with a regular size tub of cool whip. Pour into a graham cracker crust and cover. Freeze.
Take it out of the freezer and let it soften just a bit before serving. 

3 comments:

Spencer said...

Rachel! I'm so sorry you guys are going to have to move...I'm the same way. I always end up happy where i go, but I hate transitions! I'm glad it won't be for another year so you can prepare yourself. And I'm glad your 4th turned out to well--how could it not with a dessert like that?!

Katie said...

That's stinky about moving. I am just now enjoying where I am and it's been about 2 years that we've been here. I also HATE packing up all of our crap and with kids you some how accumulate a gazzilion things! Glad you have a year that you don't have to worry about it.

Tian Tian said...

Why do we write if we can't express our true feelings? I like it when others complain on their blog. It adds to the reality that they are really writing what they want to write and not what they think we want to hear.
Love to you and the kids. I missed Rob at the reunion.