9.18.2008

Could you pass the cheese please?

Every pregnancy has its own flavor, I'm finding. This one wants me to be eating chow mien noodles every day, but since I can't afford that, we're settling for cheese. Any kind of cheese, mozzarella, gouda, cheddar, cottage, gruyere, brie,... I could go on. And I have. The fact that my stomach will calm down for cheese is a double edged sword. While cheese is easily assessable, (and fairly cheap), I've not had the courage to step on the scale and see what all this dairy goodness is doing to my already burgeoning figure. 

This cheese obsession has fitted in rather nicely with Rob's new obsession which is none other then cheese making. He got a mozzarella/ricotta making kit for his birthday, we found some friends to invest in 5 1/2 gallons of fresh, whole milk with us, and I now have some wicked good mozzarella cheese that will compromise a large portion of my lunch today, and some ricotta that will be going into lasagna shortly. I wish I had pictures but the process of making cheese is so quick that I missed both times Rob made the mozzie in the last few days and went to bed last night while he was making ricotta. And I'm not sure the final products will stick around long enough to be photographed! We'll probably get some more milk in a week or two, this time splitting it 3 ways since we ended up with way more milk then we needed with just two families. 5 1/2 gallons is A LOT of milk! Super kudos to Colette who lugged the whole thing up three flights of stairs to our apartment!

4 comments:

Katie said...

Congrats! That is so exciting! Grace will be such a good big sister. I hope you feel better soon. The 2nd trimester goes by way to fast and then you are huge and time just stands still. I'm just a little bitter at the moment:)

Spencer said...

Congratulations Rachel! Spencer and I had to re-read that last entry a few times to really believe it. But we are so excited for you! And I think this means we'll either have to plan a trip to the NW, or you to Arizona so we can meet Packer #3.
Good luck with the pregnancy--cheese and all! We love you...

Suzie-Q said...

I had heard that you nd the edges had got all that milk but I didn't know it was becasue you had a craving for cheese. Congrats on almost being done with the 1st tri. And by the way keeping a secret at church, I don't think a whole lot people know.

Letty said...

Being that I thought it was Three gallons of milk, I just assumed that my baby was making it tougher for me to carry three gallons. I was relived to discover the 2 1/2 gallon surplus. maybe I'm not quite as weak as i was thinking. ;0)