9.12.2008

lovely parasite

My dictionary widget tells me that a parasite is an organism that lives in or on another organism and benefits by deriving nutrients at the host's expense. If there is a better definition of pregnancy then that please tell me now. My little parasite is only about an inch or two long after 11 weeks of incubating but has all its parts and, most importantly, no longer has a tail. And its sucking me dry. Energy, appetite, will to live... all out the window. I don't have a black list of foods that I can no longer eat, though I have been particularly drawn to chow mien noodles. No, for me it is a black list of smells. Primarily, the smell of  hand soap, body wash and toothpaste. As you might imagine, this affliction makes going anywhere near my bathroom especially horrendous. And my efforts to remain hygienic have been, I'll have to admit it, downright heroic. I've spent the last month and a half walking in a haze of nausea and fatigue (not really walking though, mostly lying on the couch or in bed). My only relief (and sweet relief it has been) is my patient, self-sacrificing husband who has catered to my every whim and picked up all the slack and not once complained even though he has the perfect right to especially since this is such a busy time for him in school. But fear not, gentle reader. There is light at the end of this bleak tunnel. The last few days I have felt myself slowly, possibly, hopefully, turn a corner. The end of the 1st trimester torture is in sight, with just two more weeks to go. We are crossing all our fingers and toes that the good mommy/wife/homemaker will come back to us soon. Until then, I'll be on the couch. 

7 comments:

leslie said...

what!! yaay! i love that you are refering to your condition as a "lovely parasite".... heheeee!

Carrie Medford said...

Congratulations! The parasite analogy makes me think of the classic scene from the movie "Alien" where the alien pops out from the guy's chest. (FYI--that was the edited version). At least our little parasites have a more convenient mode of exiting the body albeit not necessarily any less painful.

Sweet Sal said...

I totally guessed it Rachel!!! Dad sort of let the cat out of the bag and then wouldn't give any details, neither would mom but i guessed it. I'm so so so excited for another niece or nephew. All my sisters have the cutest kids and should have a whole bunch of them. I love you so much

StrykerLOVE said...

why didn't you tell me on the phone yesterday?! you know I hardly ever go onto people's blogs anymore with school!!! its total random chance I am finding this out now!

Letty said...

Congratulations!!!! Why didn't you say anything! WE could have been wallowing in misery together.

I feel your pain.

What is the official "due" date?

How fun to have another friend to be prego with.

colette said...

Congrats! At least your smell aversions don't cross into the husband zone. Mine did, and let me tell you husbands don't like it when you dry heave after they kiss you.

Kleinmans said...

So exciting Rachel! Congratulations and hopefully you're out of the "nasty zone" soon! Hang in there. You have the cutest kids...it'll be worth it in the end!