10.23.2008

Oatmeal Scones

I realized this morning that's its been quite a long while since I posted a recipe. And since I've had to make these multiple times this week for friend's birthdays and they really are so easy and yummy, I thought I'd better share.

Oatmeal Scones with Fruit
from the Joy of Cooking
Preheat oven to 450 and have rack in the center position. Have ready a large, ungreased baking sheet. (I always put parchment down...makes clean up soooo much easier. 

Whisk together thoroughly in a large bowl:
11/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Stir in:
11/4 cup oatmeal (regular rolled oats)
1/2 raisins or other dried fruit (I usually use dried cranberries if I have them)
Whisk together and add all at once:
1 large egg
10 tablespoons warm melted unsalted butter
1/3 cup milk
Mix with rubber spatula or wooden spoon just till dry ingredients are moist. The dough will be quite sticky. Turn out onto a lightly floured counter. With floured fingers pat the dough into an 8-inch round, about 3/4 inch thick. Cut into 8 wedges. If the dough is too sticky to move the wedges intact, wait a few minutes before moving. Using a spatula, place the wedges on the baking sheet, about 1/2 inch apart. Bake until lightly browned, 10-12 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm with hot cocoa!
-I usually sprinkle some turbinado sugar (also called sugar in the raw) on the scones before baking. These come together so quite and are a perfect breakfast. They aren't very sweet at all, but the kids love them as much as Rob and I do. 
I wish I had pictures, but the scones disappeared too fast!

3 comments:

Maren and Blake said...

I know what I am making Saturday morning. They sound delicious.

Suzie-Q said...

Sounds yummy! can't wait to try it out!

Letty said...

ummm...tasty