3.17.2008

Culinary update and other things

My mint brownies were not the success I had hoped they would be. While the mint and chocolate top two layers were delicious, the brownie layer was rubbery and, strangely enough, salty, though there wasn't much salt in the recipe and I know I didn't overdo it. I guess you just can't make a low fat brownie and expect it to be all that good. So now I have a large pan of brownies that I had hoped to give most away. Luckily Sam seems to like them. 


Speaking of Sam, tonight at FHE we were talking about Easter. An FHE 'phantom' left us a basket of Easter eggs, each with a symbol and scripture describing some aspect of the Saviour's atonement, crucifixion, and resurrection. So for our lesson tonight we each took turns opening an egg and talking about what the symbol meant and what happened to Jesus. It was going really well and then at the end I told Sam and Grace briefly about what resurrection means and how we will all be resurrected because of Christ's sacrifice for us. Sam got really sad and said in the most pathetic voice imaginable, "But I don't want to die. Do I have to die? When will I die? How long do I have to be dead before I can be resurrected?" Aahh! Break my heart! I wanted so badly to be able to tell him that he would never die, that that sorrow would never touch him. But I knew I had to tell him the truth; that while it would be sad when we died, we could be happy knowing that we would live again and be a family for always. It was a difficult few minutes for me and Rob, and I'm not really sure what Sam got from it. He seemed happy afterwards, but that could have been because it was time for brownies. How grateful I am for the knowledge of the gospel, that I can promise my son that he will live again and that we can be a family forever. Especially that there can be joy even after the pain and separation of death. 

1 comment:

Katie said...

Sorry about your brownies. My visiting teachers brought over mint brownies last night and they were so good. Don't try to make brownies low fat. That's where you problem is:) I can't make brownies. I'll eat the whole pan. Seriously, Chad has one and he's good for the week. I'll think about them until they are gone.