3.17.2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Rob really wanted corned beef and cabbage today. I'm afraid I couldn't go along because I have this aversion to corned beef, even though I have never had it. While I was growing up, my idea was that corned beef was actually canned beef. I had this image in my mind of a can of greasy, pale beef swimming in some kind of liquid that had corn in it. Gross. It wasn't until I met Rob that I learned that corned beef is actually beef brisket that has been seasoned with peppercorns, hence the corned part of the name. I found a recipe from an Irish cookbook that has you rubbing the spices (peppercorns, cloves, allspice, others I can't remember) into the brisket every day for a week before you even think about beginning to cook. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I suppose these prejudices we develop as children really do stick with us, even when we know they are erroneous. So we're having carnitas for dinner tonight, which literally means 'little meats' and is in no way Irish or even northern European. I am making mint brownies for dessert with the mint layer dyed green as my one concession to St. Patrick. Ok, I am also wearing green today. Two concessions. 

Also, Sam has named his new race car St. Patrick. I am unclear why. 

1 comment:

Erin said...

It's better than the green fetticine we're having for dinner~
I'm trying to call you but it goes straight to your voice mail. And I'm always in the Irish spirit- ERIN GO BRAGH
Have you watched The WInd that moves the Barley- so sad Irish independence movie.