11.03.2008

Halloween Wrap-up

A few weeks ago I was reading an article on cnn.com about how to make your Halloween more healthy. Really, is there anything healthy about Halloween? I mean the entire holiday is completely focused on getting as much candy as possible! Anyway, the article mentioned some ideas to get some of the candy back from your kids before they rot their teeth to little nubbins. One was to buy back the candy, say at 5 cents a piece. Another was to have your kids trade in their candy for a toy; the more candy they give up, the nicer toy they get. So I was telling Rob about these ideas, in the presence of my kids, and when I got to the toy idea Sam got so excited. He thought it was a GREAT idea! Who'd have thunk it? So Friday night after we got home from all the Halloween festivity, Sam and Grace picked out a few choice pieces of candy and the rest (really, almost all of it. I was surprised at how much they were willing to give up) went with Dad to campus to help stimulate his brain during those long hours of study. Saturday we went toy shopping and Sam ended up with a cool transformer and Grace with a new doll. They are both very happy with their toys and aren't missing the candy at all. They did get into the kept candy yesterday morning while Rob and I were enjoying our extra hour of sleep. Rob got up to find the both of them under the kitchen table, surrounded by candy wrappers. Rob asked Sam how he felt, considering he had just ingested  more sugar in one hour then he usually gets in a week and Sam said, "Great! I can feel my heart beating in my head!"


So it looks as though a new tradition is in the making. The kids loved trick-or-treating and LOVED dressing up, but the candy just wasn't as important to them. How neat is that?

4 comments:

Suzie-Q said...

That is neat. I might have to try that. but for now we all get to have a piece for dessert after lunch and dinner. We try to limit how much they will get anyways and it has to be split for all five of us. I think I may even get the most cause I'm the mom!

Letty said...

last year we tried to buy Oscar's candy back from him and we wouldn't do it. I even offered him a million dollars.
We didn't try it this year because they neither one got a whole lot of candy.
Poppy ate all of her's on Saturday and Oscar is "saving" his and shares with poppy from time to time.
It has been fun to see how they monitor themselves.
I must say I was also pleasantly surprised that Poppy really handled the candy overload very well.
It was nice to let her get it all over with in one day rather than stringing it out over a few weeks.

Oh, and they costumes turned out great!

Maren and Blake said...

What a good idea. I am going to have to try this when Braden gets older. I don't know if it was here or in Logan, but there was a dentist that bought candy from kids every year.

NanaH said...

So, did you take back the transformer and doll after they ate the candy?