2.29.2008

I'm It

So my sister 'tagged' me earlier this week. I enjoy reading other people's blogs when they have been tagged, but I confess I'm not all that eager to do my own. But here goes. 

The rules of this particular game are that I have to link to my sister's blog, and then post 7 random or weird things about myself. Also I'm suppose to tag 7 other people. This I am not going to do because every other person I know with a blog either just did a tag like this or wouldn't do it at all if I did tag them. So this tag will stop with me. Sorry.
All right. 7 things. Here goes.
1. I firmly believe that the Word of Wisdom is a commandment and is good for us and I am committed to keeping it. However, if there was one part of it that I wish I didn't have to follow, it would be the no coffee part. I love coffee so much, I walk down the coffee isle at the grocery store just so I can smell it. I have to rush myself past Starbucks at the mall so I'm not tempted to go inside. Every week I talk myself out of buying coffee flavored ice cream. It truly feels a sacrifice to me to deny myself this pleasure. 
2. I rarely wear make-up and seldom put much effort into doing my hair. I tell myself that this is because natural is good and that I don't really need to paint myself to look good. The truth is that I don't really have the necessary skills to put on make-up and style my hair nicely. 
3. When Sam was born we hadn't yet chosen a name for him. We had a list of 3 or 4 names, but Samuel was definitely not one of the final contenders. However, when I got my first look at him, the thought popped in my mind 'Oh, he looks like a Hobbit!'. And since I couldn't name my son Bilbo, Frodo, Peregrine, or Meriadoc, he became Sam. It is Samuel, not Samwise, however. I am not completely crazy.
4. I love desk calendars. You know the kind that you rip off a page every day and there's something to read for each date? Last year I had a Farside one; this year is Mary Englebright. There's just something terribly satisfying at being able to rip off each day as it passes.
5. Anyone who knows me knows how much I love reading. It is as necessary as food, water, air, and sleep to me. I love new books, but what I love even more is rereading my old favorites. I can't even tell you how many times I've read 'Pride and Prejudice', 'Beauty', 'The Scarlet Pimpernel', 'The Anne of Green Gable Series' and many more. I almost always have an old favorite that I'm skimming through, hitting all my favorite parts, in addition to any new books I'm reading. 
6. I would love to be an artist. I'm not too particular on what branch of art; painting, drawing, music, sculpture, photography, writing, even quilting would be great. Actually, if I had to choose one medium, it would be painting. I would love to be able to sit down and just create something. Sadly, I have not the talent. My drawing skills are not much more advanced then Sam's. Someday I hope to take some lessons, maybe in watercolors. But I know I will never be the kind of artist I want to be. 
7. When I was in high school, a friend gave me the nickname of Springprincess. (19 more days!)

Well, there you are. Not terribly interesting, I know. But that's all I could come up with right now. Cheers

5 comments:

Katie said...

Thanks for sharing! The Samwise comment is funny. Chad loves the name Sam and honestly would probably name our kid Samwise if I would let him. How are you?

NanaH said...

It is those darn Grandma Vy genes that makes you crave the coffee.

Jenny said...

We have so much in common! I loved this post.

StrykerLOVE said...

thanks for doing the tag - we are such sisters since we are have all the same likes

Alleman Family said...

I loved the post! It's so fun to learn new stuff about you! it's funny to me what is tempting to one may not be to another. I NEVER liked the smell of coffee and had a sip of a mocha late something or other one time and hated it! But, lets be honest, I eat so much chocolate that it's probably the same as drinking coffee!!