1.28.2008

Beloved Prophet


In this day of instant news, we heard of President Hinckley's scarcely an hour after it happened. I doubt anyone can claim to be shocked...after all, how many people make it to 97, especially with his level of energy! But a gentle sadness has been with me since I heard. He has been the Prophet of my adult life...really ever since I truly knew what it meant to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It is his voice I hear when I think of the words of the prophets. It is difficult to conceive of the church without him. Difficult, but not impossible. 

I've been reading online many of the thousands of statements of love and appreciation people from all around the world have posted. The tears are flowing freely, though I'm trying to hide them because the kids get really nervous when they see me cry. My first reaction when I heard he passed away was to think how happy he must be to be with his dear Marjorie again. Its astonishing to read how many other people feel the same way. Almost everything I read mentioned it. I will always love and honor this great man. Though I never met him in person, I know that if I had I would have felt his love and acceptance of me. I will miss his voice and personality, his ready wit and gentle guidance. 
However, the sorrow is mixed with a firm belief that President Monson will take up the reigns and lead the church as ably as President Hinckley did. This church is true, lead by Christ Himself and will continue no matter who is its leader here on earth. 

1 comment:

Alleman Family said...

I completely agree! I love the post! I was, of course, sad when I heard the news... but that sadness was replaced with a sense of peace. He is with the woman that he missed dearly! My mom made a funny comment though. We were talking about Pres. Monson and she said he'd do so great and how young he is... he's 80!! It's so true though. He doens't seem that old! I just had to laugh a bit!