1.31.2008

Progression of a Snow Day

So yes, we are having another snow day today. And by now I am ok with it. This week I've gone from hating my kids (not really, but kind of) to tolerating them, to having fun with them, to today, when I've been ignoring them. We've had the most 'weather' today. The school district finally gave in and called a full snow day; also the university closed, which sources tell me has only happened 2 other times in the last 30 years. Once for a flood and once when Mt. St Helen's erupted. Not that Rob is home with us. Classes may be canceled but the work of a grad student stops for no man!
Anyway, here are some pictures of our deck, showing the accumulation we've had today alone. The first is how our deck looked yesterday, the rest are from this morning.




The snow has stopped now and as it is above freezing the great melt has already started.

This day has not all been about the snow, however. I've been obsessing about getting a treadmill for months and this morning I finally bit the bullet and bought one! I think I got a pretty good deal, but as I essentially know nothing about treadmills I can't be sure. I called my friend Collette before I took the plunge to get some advise as she is more experience then I in such matters in as much as she already owns a treadmill. It was encouraging to talk to someone who was encouraging to me about my fitness goals. Thanks Collette! Anyway, it cost a bit more then I would have liked (though cheap for a treadmill; who knew they were so much!) especially considering we would like to be the proud owners of a minivan (Toyota Sienna to be exact) within the next 4-5 months or so. I justify my big spending by counting on the Federal Economic Stimulus Package  which may be coming our way in May or June and would put $1600 into our pockets.  Now I should admit here that I don't really think this stimulus plan is all that good of an idea. Borrowing money from China and giving it to people who most likely will, lets be honest, spend it on goods imported from China and whose economy are we trying to stimulate again? However, I wont be turning my check away if it does come. And anyway, I have it on good authority that the Sienna is actually made in America, or at least North America (since Rob's half Canadian we feel loyal to them as well) so I at least will be able to sleep at night. Or something like that. 

3 comments:

StrykerLOVE said...

hooray for you that you get a treadmill - its hard for me to put down the money - but it will be worth it doing all those miles, while I sit on my bum!

Letty said...

Congrats on the treadmill...I'm sure you will love it...that is until we finally get spring or winter and then you may not see the poor thing until next winter!

Erin said...

Yeah!! I am jealous! All I do is run around after Johnny trying to wipe his runny nose!