4.14.2008

Fire up the Grill!

Last weekend, I'm sure as a birthday present to me, we had very spring, almost summer weather. The temperatures were up in the 70's, if you can believe it, which is warmer then we've been for at least 6 months! Of course by Monday we were back to rain/snow and chilly temps, but that brief respite of warmth was enough to inspire Rob and I to get out the grill and make us some oh-so-good grub. The way grilling works in our household, as I suspect in many another, is that I prepare the food and Rob places that food on the grill. So we really are a team :-)

Here's two recipes that I'm giving from memory so I hope I get it right. I didn't take any pictures but even if I did I doubt I'd be able to post them because we are having major internet issues right now. If you don't hear from me for awhile, that's why. 

Both of these recipes are from Cook's Illustrated. I do cook from other sources, promise!
Southwest Burgers
makes 4
1 1/2 pounds ground beef ~85% will make the juiciest burgers, but you can use a leaner ground if you wish
2 tablespoons minced green onion
1 tablespoon minced chili in adobo sauce
3 garlic cloves, roasted over medium heat in a dry skillet in their skins till fragrant and beginning to change color, about 7-8 minutes. Then peel and mince or press through a garlic press
Salt and Pepper~I can't really remember how much of these. Just put in to taste

Very lightly mix all together. You don't want to over mix your meat or you'll get a tough burger. Divide into 4 equal portions and lightly form each into a ball by gently tossing back and forth between your hands. Gently press into patties and make a indentation in the middle of each. This will help your burger cook uniformly. 
Follow your grill's instructions for grilling hamburgers. ~These burgers are actually quite spicy so you can cut down on the chili amount if you don't like spicy foods. 

Southwest Chicken Kabobs 
serves 4
The chicken needs to marinade for at least 3 and up to 24 hours, so plan accordingly

Chicken breasts ~I used 2, but there is enough marinade for probably one more. 
Green and red pepper
Onion
Pineapple~ PLEASE use fresh... canned is just not worth it.

Cut all of the above into bite size, uniform pieces. 

For the marinade:
Combine
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup minced cilantro
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon each of chili powder, cumin, and turmeric
1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste
mix together in a large zip lock bag or bowl and add chicken. Let it sit in the fridge for 3-24 hours. 
If you are using wood skewers, make sure you soak them in water for about 1/2 hour before grilling. Toss your fruit and veggies in olive oil and some salt and pepper. Then thread everything onto your skewers. I try to begin and end each with the onion, and to put the chicken next to the pineapple. I think I used 8 or 9 skewers. You'll want to grill these over medium-high heat for about 8-9 minutes, giving them a quarter turn every two minutes. Once the chicken is cooked through remove and serve immediately.  

3 comments:

Letty said...

Ok, so for you side bar "books recently read" how recent is that? You are a reading machine! I am lucky to get a bit of blog reading and some garden self-help books in.
I'm envious.
I suppose I could make the time but I think I would have to cut out something else.
Impressive!
Oh, and as for the 70 degree weather...we made it into a yard clean up day!
It was delightful.

StrykerLOVE said...

thats weird - you got a hug from a stranger. kind of violating actually. anyway thanks for the grilling stuff and we just bought a gas grill so we need things to try out.

StrykerMan said...

Yes, Whit and I combine our grilling powers in much the same way. Although I'm sure Rob is more gourmet about it than I am! You guys should do a cooking-themed vlog actually. I think it would be quite popular.