4.21.2008

Run, Spencer, Run!

(Sorry, don't have a running picture)

Right at this very moment, my brother Spencer, husband of Anna, med student extraordinaire, is running the Boston Marathon. And doing amazingly, mind-blowingly well too. I signed myself up to receive text messages when he reaches different checkpoints. He just passed the half way mark running at a steady pace of 6:34. If he keeps this up he will finish in under 3 hours! This is so completely beyond the realm of my abilities. This morning, just for kicks, I decided to crank the pace on my treadmill up to a 10 minute mile. Yeah, that didn't last long.
The Hansen siblings are divided evenly between the runners and the non-runners. Spencer, Whitney and Erin are all runners, or at least enjoy running. Sally, Jacob and I are not runners or don't really like it all that much. Jacob runs out of necessity because he figured out you can't really not run while playing basketball and football. I run because I want to be a runner and to like running. Sally doesn't run. At all if she can help it.
Whitney and Erin both enjoy running and do it regularly when pregnancy and injury doesn't get in the way. Both have run marathons and other races. But really, no one in the fam compares to the Beeze. The first marathon he ran was really on a whim, with absolutly no specific marathon training. A friend of Erin's decided not to run the race the day before and Spencer took his place. And WON, if memory serves. He ran in the last Salt Lake marathon and came in in the top 10 of EVERYBODY. So yeah, he's a serious runner.

Run strong little brother

1 comment:

Carrie Medford said...

I also wish I could be a runner like that. Jeremy tells me that he wants me to run a marathon with him someday. He was lucky to get me to do a 5K with him this year.