4.09.2008

Pretzels II

Since a few people have requested the pretzel recipe I will include it here. Also I've been thinking about, almost for years, putting together my own cookbook, compiling all the successful recipes I've used and keeping a log of what works and what ends up in the trash. I've never actually done it and then just this morning it dawned on me to use my blog. So for the time being I may be writing about food more then anything else. It may not last long since consistency has never been my strong point :-)! So how I think I'll work it is to put my successful recipes here on the blog with commentary about what was easy or hard, any substitutions I made, and any other tips I can think of. Since I do not develop my own recipes I'll also tell you where I got it. Also, for my own memory I'll keep track of my flops so I'm not tempted to do it again later. 


Soft Pretzels
From 'Baking Illustrated'
makes 12
1tsp. instant yeast
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp. salt
3 cups bread flour, plus more for dusting the counter
1 cup warm water (about 110 degrees)
3 Tbls. baking soda
2 Tbls coarse salt, poppy seeds, sesame seeds (optional)~I used kosher salt and didn't measure; just sprinkled on what looked right

1. Mix together the yeast, honey, salt, flour, and water in the bowl of a standing mixer. Using the dough hook, knead at low speed until a smooth, elastic ball of dough forms (the dough will be quite stiff), 5 to 7 minutes. ~mixing by hand is not recommended because the dough is so stiff. If you do make it by hand it will take a lot longer to knead the dough and will result in a less flavorful pretzel.
2. Place the dough in a lightly oiled large bowl and turn to coat with the oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise at warm room temperature until doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Deflate dough, cover, and let rise until nearly doubled in size again, 30 to 40 minutes. ~This is where I got my times wrong because I was trying to get the dough to rise in my chilly apartment. If your kitchen isn't warm (like in the mid 70's), then turn your oven on to it's warm, or lowest, setting for a few minutes, then turn it off and put your bowl in.
3. Meanwhile, adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 450. Pour 6 cups of water into a 12 inch skillet, add the baking soda, stir, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray generously with cooking spray. Set aside. ~If you don't have a 12 in skillet, then a wide pot or dutch oven will work. The skillet is best because it is wide enough to fit 3 or 4 pretzels at a time and shallow sides make it easy to put them in and take them out. Also, try to time yourself so you're getting the water to a boil just as you are ready to start cooking to pretzels so you don't fill you kitchen with steam. 
4. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 20 inch long, 1/2 inch wide rope. Shape each rope into a pretzel and place on the prepared sheet. ~ my dough was a little sticky so make sure you have flour handy. Also try to get your ropes a uniform thickness. You can use a bit of water to stick the ends of the rope into your pretzel shape.  
5. Using a wire skimmer or large slotted spoon, gently place the pretzels into the boiling water, top side down( you should be able to fit 3 or 4), for 30 seconds. Using tongs, carefully flip the pretzels over and boil for 30 seconds longer. Remove pretzels with a slotted spoon, drain well, and place back onto the prepared baking sheet. (because they wont rise much in the oven you should be able fit all 12 on one pan if you are using a standard 18x12 in pan). Sprinkle with coarse salt or seeds if using and bake for 12-16 minutes, or until the pretzels are well browned, turning the sheet halfway through baking time. Remove the pretzels to a wire rack. ~if you want cinnamon-sugar pretzels, then so not put salt on them after blanching. In a shallow dish mix together 1/3 cup sugar and 1/2 teas cinnamon. After the pretzels are baked and cool enough to handle, brush with melted butter and press the butter side into the sugar. 

The trouble I had with forming the pretzels came from not allowing the dough to rise all the way and from being in a big hurry and not being careful about rolling the ropes uniformly. I also wasn't very particular about dividing the dough into 12 equal parts. I think if you take the time to do things right and not rush through them you should have a much easier time then I did. I'm probably going to make some more tomorrow and hope for prettier looking results. 

1 comment:

Nicola said...

What a great idea! I love new recipes and it will be fun to see what you make. The pretzels sound amazing. I can't wait to try out your recipe!