8.18.2007

National Lentil Festival


The day started for us at 8 am with the Taste T. Lentil 5k run. There were about 100 people running along with me on a fairly easy course. 1st half uphill, 2nd half down. I felt really good as we were about to start until I realized that I had to pee but there was no time so I just used that as an inducement to go faster and reach a bathroom quicker. I was pretty pleased with my time which was infinitely better then any other 5k I've done. Some people from our ward including the bishop were working as volunteers directing traffic along the course so it was fun to see them. Rob, Sam and Grace were waiting for me at the finish line with big cheers and smiles and demands for cookies and oranges. Rob wouldn't let them get any of the snacks that were there for the runners. Micah Adams, our bishop's son, won the race, coming in around 18 or 19 minutes (Rob can't remember), and our good friend Adam George came in second, a few seconds behind Micha. Way to go Micha and Adam!! All in all, a good run. I had fun and the shirt is pretty cool too; designed by the lovely Laurel Nickels whom I have the privilege of visiting teaching.
After a quick shower and a run to the church for a baptism (figuratively speaking, I really drove), we hustled down to main street to watch the parade.


These pictures here show the 500 gallon bowl that they made lentil chili in last night at the street fair. The other one is of Taste T. Lentil himself. Now you'll never have to wonder what a giant lentil looks like. Sam and Grace really had fun watching the parade, though the fire truck horns were pretty loud. After the parade we scooted on down to the park for the fun and games there. We got a boatload of free stuff from all the different vendors that were there and had some very tasty chinese food for lunch. I suppose we should have chosen something with lentils in it, though we did have lentil ice cream for dessert. Sam had a fun meeting with Ronald McDonald. They played catch.

After a turn in the jumping castle for the kids it was time to head home. Nap time is just about over now and then we're off to get all our Saturday errands done in just the 2 hours we have left before dinner. Its been a good day. Tomorrow (Monday really) I'll have to start training for next year. Instead of the 5k I'm shooting for the Tour de Lentil 100k. Good weekend to all!

7 comments:

Jenny said...

You go girl! You rock!! Are you REALLY going to run a 100K? That is a long run!!

Rachel said...

Sorry, not running a 100k. Its a bike ride. Should have made that clear.

Letty said...

Nice job rachel! The bad thing about the the 100K ride is that we missed out on the parade...maybe next year. Great job on your run!

StrykerLOVE said...

congrats - is your birthday bike a road bike byw? the Lentil festival looks like good old hometown fun. what does Lentil icecream taste like?

Nana said...

Does this mean I no longer get emails? I keep forgettng my password and it takes forever to leave a comment. Plus how do I comment on Whitney;s site? Am I exposing my ignorance to the world?

Katie said...

I'm impressed Rachel. I need to get back into running, just worried that my thighs will start on fire from rubbing together... Your kids are so cute and I didn't know that Spencer is getting married! That's great. Where?

Anonymous said...

All I can say... your son looks very much like a young man I taught years ago to tie an action figure to a vacuum cleaners power cord. The fun was in the retracting the cable.